As a professional imbiber/provider of imbibement, here's my advice:
Drinks lots and lots of water. If you feel gaggy with too much water, switch to Gatorade. If you don't have Gatorade, water with a dash of salt, sugar and orange (or lemon or lime) juice will do the trick.
People talk about staying away from grease, which is true, but sugar'll get you just as bad.
The most important thing I've learned is not to mix liquors. It's an old wives' tale for a reason.
I've never actually had a migraine, so I don't know how valid that comparison is, but just... a general sense of nausea, combined with an awful, pressing headache at your temples and the base of your skull... ugh.
Hey, this is the first time I've ever been hungover, and I hardly feel as though I've gained something important. I imagine there are better things to be doing with one's youth than wasting them loafing about grimacing at the light and holding one's head.
general sense of nausea, combined with an awful, pressing headache at your temples and the base of your skul
That actually sounds like a lot of the migraine headaches that I've experienced. I felt so bad for Thomas Jefferson when I learned, back in grade eleven, that he'd actually suffered from migraines for up to six months at a time. Oh my gosh... I'd lose my mind! Well, that implies there's a mind to lose, doesn't it? Oh well. I'd do the equivalent for people who haven't got minds to begin with!
I was certainly impressed by that feat. He managed to almost single-handedly expound the ideological principles that ground modern Western Liberalism, all while his head probably felt like it was going to explode like a Roman candle (possibly why Independence Day is celebrated with fireworks?) TJ once wrote that he wished he could crack his head open, take his brain out and soak it in cold water at night, which with that kind of headache I can understand.
Also, equally fascinating, being President was the only achievement in his life of which he was not truly proud, and did not have it carved on his tombstone.
Well, you are a veritable treasure trove of information, aren't you?
Part of being a history major, I think. Or possibly part of having no life whatsoever. Either one. Take your pick. I took a class on the American Presidency, once, and I picked up all sorts of interesting but useless trivia about our chief executives in it. Having a mostly photographic memory also helps, I think.
Oh, it's a marvellous thing! I have a tendency to spout random bits of useless, obscure trivia as well; I thoroughly enjoy it. It's amazing what simultaneously being a pretentious intellectual and having no life will do to a person.
Ha, if you think I'm bad about the Presidents you ought to try me on any aspect of British military history. I honestly drive my professor crazy, asking him constant questions about gun size, armor thickness, drive to weight ratio, magazine placement. You know, things that are interesting but aren't right at the top of ANYONE's mind, so he has to rummage through his memory for them.
What do you study/do, by the way? I know you're a fellow Anglophile, but beyond that :)
I'm an English/Theatre double major. Would be minoring in Linguistics if my school offered it, but alas, that's what going to a tiny wee college will get you, I suppose. In an ideal world, I would go on to Oxford for my graduate degree in Theatre, and then make my living as an actor. Possibly publish some fantastic dissertation on sociolinguistics in slang and jargon, or something about Tolkien's languages. In an ideal world. But we shall see, I suppose.
I'm also something of a history buff, but I'm into the European Mediaeval period and then really ancient history- Greece, Egypt, Rome, Babylon, etc.
English and theatre both sound like interesting, exciting majors. One of my interests is the influence of the Great War on poetry, fiction and art (I'm reading a book by Paul Fussell right now on that very subject). It's amazing how many works of beauty grew, directly or indirectly, out of the charnel fields in no man's land. Linguistics is fascinating, too. I actually only recently read a book called Linguistic Analysis of the Gulf States, so as to better learn why I talk the way I do (low, slow and drawling). The mixture of Elizabethan English and West African rhythm is rather wonderful and sometimes charming. Ugh. I ramble so much. I do hope you get to do some work at Oxford, though, and am quite looking forward to reading that dissertation :)
no subject
Drinks lots and lots of water. If you feel gaggy with too much water, switch to Gatorade. If you don't have Gatorade, water with a dash of salt, sugar and orange (or lemon or lime) juice will do the trick.
People talk about staying away from grease, which is true, but sugar'll get you just as bad.
The most important thing I've learned is not to mix liquors. It's an old wives' tale for a reason.
no subject
no subject
Also, disregard how sad it is that I've probably missed an integral part of my youth by never having had a hangover...
no subject
Hey, this is the first time I've ever been hungover, and I hardly feel as though I've gained something important. I imagine there are better things to be doing with one's youth than wasting them loafing about grimacing at the light and holding one's head.
no subject
That actually sounds like a lot of the migraine headaches that I've experienced. I felt so bad for Thomas Jefferson when I learned, back in grade eleven, that he'd actually suffered from migraines for up to six months at a time. Oh my gosh... I'd lose my mind! Well, that implies there's a mind to lose, doesn't it? Oh well. I'd do the equivalent for people who haven't got minds to begin with!
no subject
no subject
Also, equally fascinating, being President was the only achievement in his life of which he was not truly proud, and did not have it carved on his tombstone.
no subject
being President was the only achievement in his life of which he was not truly proud, and did not have it carved on his tombstone.
Gods, why can we not have presidents like that anymore? Seriously...
no subject
Part of being a history major, I think. Or possibly part of having no life whatsoever. Either one. Take your pick. I took a class on the American Presidency, once, and I picked up all sorts of interesting but useless trivia about our chief executives in it. Having a mostly photographic memory also helps, I think.
no subject
no subject
What do you study/do, by the way? I know you're a fellow Anglophile, but beyond that :)
no subject
I'm also something of a history buff, but I'm into the European Mediaeval period and then really ancient history- Greece, Egypt, Rome, Babylon, etc.
no subject
no subject
*pets you*
no subject
no subject