a little bit wildean (
culumacilinte) wrote2011-05-03 02:54 pm
Entry tags:
'the europeans, who don't believe in justice...' or: my milton lecturer is a fuckhead
Those of you who follow me on Twitter may be aware that I am taking a class on John Milton's works this semester, and that the man who teaches that course is mad, senile, apparently wishes to repress any tendency on the part of the class to think for itself, and doesn't know what literary analysis means. He is incapable of sticking to a point, never discusses the class readings, and his lectures meander in a labyrinthine fashion which suggests that even he has no idea what he's saying. He also has a habit of interjecting bizarre and insulting comments regarding politics and the supposed religious background of the class into his lectures. Today, naturally, he had to talk about the death of Osama bin Laden and what Milton would have thought of that.
Here is a transcript from Twitter, featuring my bitching, with cameos from
platoapproved and
brewsternorth .
Culumacilinte 'The Europeans, who don't believe in justice...' WHAT, Milton lecturer? WHAT?
Culumacilinte Europeans apparently also object to capital punishment because they're more religious than Americans. And their mockery is really just a--
Culumacilinte --way to disguise the fact that they're envious that America has 'backbone.' ... I don't even. *EPIC HEADDESK*
brewsternorth @Culumacilinte The hubris is unbelievable. Has Milton lecturer actually talked to/read something by an actual European?
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth The best bit is, he's somehow attempting to CONFLATE THIS VIEW WITH MILTON. I cannot believe him. He makes *no sense*. In--
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --addition to being shockingly blinkered and without any backing in reality in his views of world politics.
Culumacilinte And now somehow he's moved on to attempting to dissect Barack Obama's PERSONAL THOUGHTS on being othered and characterised solely by his--
Culumacilinte --ethnic background. A) How is this *at all* relevant to Milton?, and B) Why are you claiming to have any knowledge of Obama's internal--
Culumacilinte --psychology? #aaaaaarrrrrgh #DearGodICannotStandMyMiltonLecturer #HowDidHeGetHisDamnTeachingLicense
Culumacilinte *cries* He's on to Clinton now. And how Clinton was incapable of executing justice in the proper Roman sense. #whatjustwhat
brewsternorth @Culumacilinte And that has what-all to do with Milton? (Unless we're talking Friedman rather than John.)
platoapproved @Culumacilinte What a fucking douche.
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth No, John Milton. And fuck-all, as far as I can tell. Although somewhere along the line, he's justified Osama bin Laden's--
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --death as vengeance (not justice, but vengeance), because Milton once said something about how vengeance is the root of--
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --all republics, and the Lord wreaketh vengeance, etc. I WANT TO SHOUT AT HIM. He doesn't even notice that he's criticised--
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --the Europeans for their so-called religious objection to capital punishment, whilst simultaneously endorsing vengeance--
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --by citing a religious work from a religious man who used religion in his argument.
brewsternorth @Culumacilinte At least he got the phraseology right w/r/t vengeance and not justice over OBL. (Many haven't. :/)
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth Except not really, because according to him, vengeance *is* justice. Because Milton said so.
brewsternorth @Culumacilinte *facepalm* IDEK.
platoapproved @Culumacilinte After the grades are all turned in, you should send him an email informing him that he's a complete dickweed.
Culumacilinte @platoapproved I may well. His teacher review is certainly going to be *scathing*.
platoapproved @Culumacilinte @brewsternorth See I think this is the difference between us, I would be derailing this lecture. I almost got thrown out of--
platoapproved @Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --my myth/folktale/children's lit class on a weekly basis because I disputed the prof's fuckery constantly.
brewsternorth @Culumacilinte What a plonker. Agreed with @platoapproved's idea; give him a breakdown of what he got wrong!wrong!wrong! post facto.
Culumacilinte @platoapproved I interrupted him with objections for the first few weeks of class. I've since lost the energy to do so; he ignores any--
Culumacilinte @platoapproved --and all disputations and twists the topic to make it so that oh no, he didn't mean *that*.
platoapproved @Culumacilinte You know what that means? Shanking time. Oh, wait, that's probably an overreaction. I suppose angry tweets work.
Culumacilinte @platoapproved I don't even fucking know how his mind works. *rages*
Here is a transcript from Twitter, featuring my bitching, with cameos from
Culumacilinte 'The Europeans, who don't believe in justice...' WHAT, Milton lecturer? WHAT?
Culumacilinte Europeans apparently also object to capital punishment because they're more religious than Americans. And their mockery is really just a--
Culumacilinte --way to disguise the fact that they're envious that America has 'backbone.' ... I don't even. *EPIC HEADDESK*
brewsternorth @Culumacilinte The hubris is unbelievable. Has Milton lecturer actually talked to/read something by an actual European?
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth The best bit is, he's somehow attempting to CONFLATE THIS VIEW WITH MILTON. I cannot believe him. He makes *no sense*. In--
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --addition to being shockingly blinkered and without any backing in reality in his views of world politics.
Culumacilinte And now somehow he's moved on to attempting to dissect Barack Obama's PERSONAL THOUGHTS on being othered and characterised solely by his--
Culumacilinte --ethnic background. A) How is this *at all* relevant to Milton?, and B) Why are you claiming to have any knowledge of Obama's internal--
Culumacilinte --psychology? #aaaaaarrrrrgh #DearGodICannotStandMyMiltonLecturer #HowDidHeGetHisDamnTeachingLicense
Culumacilinte *cries* He's on to Clinton now. And how Clinton was incapable of executing justice in the proper Roman sense. #whatjustwhat
brewsternorth @Culumacilinte And that has what-all to do with Milton? (Unless we're talking Friedman rather than John.)
platoapproved @Culumacilinte What a fucking douche.
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth No, John Milton. And fuck-all, as far as I can tell. Although somewhere along the line, he's justified Osama bin Laden's--
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --death as vengeance (not justice, but vengeance), because Milton once said something about how vengeance is the root of--
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --all republics, and the Lord wreaketh vengeance, etc. I WANT TO SHOUT AT HIM. He doesn't even notice that he's criticised--
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --the Europeans for their so-called religious objection to capital punishment, whilst simultaneously endorsing vengeance--
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --by citing a religious work from a religious man who used religion in his argument.
brewsternorth @Culumacilinte At least he got the phraseology right w/r/t vengeance and not justice over OBL. (Many haven't. :/)
Culumacilinte @brewsternorth Except not really, because according to him, vengeance *is* justice. Because Milton said so.
brewsternorth @Culumacilinte *facepalm* IDEK.
platoapproved @Culumacilinte After the grades are all turned in, you should send him an email informing him that he's a complete dickweed.
Culumacilinte @platoapproved I may well. His teacher review is certainly going to be *scathing*.
platoapproved @Culumacilinte @brewsternorth See I think this is the difference between us, I would be derailing this lecture. I almost got thrown out of--
platoapproved @Culumacilinte @brewsternorth --my myth/folktale/children's lit class on a weekly basis because I disputed the prof's fuckery constantly.
brewsternorth @Culumacilinte What a plonker. Agreed with @platoapproved's idea; give him a breakdown of what he got wrong!wrong!wrong! post facto.
Culumacilinte @platoapproved I interrupted him with objections for the first few weeks of class. I've since lost the energy to do so; he ignores any--
Culumacilinte @platoapproved --and all disputations and twists the topic to make it so that oh no, he didn't mean *that*.
platoapproved @Culumacilinte You know what that means? Shanking time. Oh, wait, that's probably an overreaction. I suppose angry tweets work.
Culumacilinte @platoapproved I don't even fucking know how his mind works. *rages*

no subject
That.
How's about we put this prof and my roommate in a car together and let them ignorant-road-trip to some deserted hinterland somewhere?
no subject
And yes, this sounds like a brilliant idea. Professor Haley can expound upon his theories in which determining author's intent is the ONLY THING THAT MATTERS and it's only the ignorant and faddish who try to read closely or interpret a text.
no subject
He can tell my roommate he can psychically intuit the minds of dead and living authors, and my roommate can threaten to sue him and go to corporate if he intuits him. Ever.
SIGH.
no subject
*facepalm* Sounds like a charmer.
no subject
Aw. I had to leave mine at my parents' because my previous roommate was allergic. Cat withdrawal is sad.
no subject
:| How many lectures do you have left from this guy?
no subject
Just... one, actually. I think. I hope.